There are many different definitions of plagiarism. In particular, the definitions in the regulations for student and research papers, for journalism and mathematics, British and German universities, etc. may be somewhat different. It is common to attribute to oneself the results obtained by others. According to Teresa Fishman, academic plagiarism is academic behavior, “which is characterized by five cumulative features when a person uses the words, ideas, or results of another person’s work without reference to the source. That is, there are situations in which the authorship of the original is expected to be indicated – so it is worth doing.
5 Ideas on Avoiding Plagiarism In Content
Plagiarism should not be compared to copyright infringement. These violations have a certain area of the intersection but are not identical. The rules on plagiarism are not aimed at authors, but at individuals who violate the ethical norms of the academic community. The requirements provide for the provision of correct references to the real authors of the works used.
How do different universities define plagiarism? At Stanford University, plagiarism is the use without reasonable and proper citation or recognition by the author or source of another person’s original work, whether the work is code, formula, idea, language, research, strategy, text, and so on. Yale University views plagiarism as the use of someone else’s work, words, or ideas without reference. The University of Cambridge is a submission as one’s own work, regardless of the intention to deceive, a work that is partly or entirely borrowed from someone else’s work without proper reference. But the US National Science Foundation calls plagiarism the appropriation of other people’s ideas, methods, results, or words without proper citation.
Different Countries – Different Plagiarism Preventing Methods
- In Germany, one of the strictest laws on plagiarism. You at once will lose not only a scientific degree, academic title but also a position. As for some period of time there was no such service as TopWritersReview that help finding reliable academic help in seconds. So, German Education Minister Annette Schavan has resigned following allegations of plagiarism and loss of her degree. Every German knows that if in 5-10 years someone checks his work for the presence of plagiarism and finds at least two sentences without reference to the copied, he will immediately be accused of plagiarism.
- Great Britain. The Anti-Plagiarism system was introduced for public use in accordance with the government program. According to the rules of Oxford University, one of the most serious “sins” is plagiarism. Even if the plagiarism turns out to be accidental. You should look through the original essay writing service to be sure you won’t get plagiarism in your work. Most English universities use one of the best and largest systems, Turnitin, to check texts for textual borrowings.
- Sweden is the only EU member state to include rules on responding to academic abuse and plagiarism in national law.
HWhat Should be Done to Avoid Plagiarism
- You should literally not use text fragments without formatting them as citations with reference to the source. Sometimes there are situations when even the use of a single word if that word is used in a unique meaning, without reference to the source, is considered plagiarism;
- you should not use facts, ideas, formulas, numerical values, etc. from the source without reference;
- falsification will not pass. Fiction, for example, statistical indicators using them as their own work;
- it is also a common mistake to paraphrase the text close to the original text, or to generalize or draw conclusions from a particular source without reference;
- Serious plagiarism can be the use of other people’s work (articles, abstracts, tests, essays, etc.) as one’s own.
Plagiarism Can Take Different Forms
Thus, plagiarism is possible in terms of data, words and phrases, ideas, and principles. The extent of plagiarism may vary. It is necessary to determine what amount of someone else’s work was borrowed. When working on the text, keep in mind that pointing to sources of information is very important. Always provide references to the results of the work on the basis of which you draw conclusions in your work.
Ideas courtesy by:
When Elizabeth writes about writing or blogging, be sure, she knows what she’s talking about. Working for many years in the field, she managed to garner lots of wonderful experiences. To feel complete, Elizabeth shares those experiences to help others achieve success just as great.